Strategic Planner (Resource Management)
- Career Development Opportunity
- Blenheim Based - Lifestyle Location
- Broad Variety of Projects
Marlborough District, located in the north east of the South Island, is home to a thriving wine district, a fine local food industry, stunning landscapes, including the Marlborough Sounds, attracting tourists year round and providing an unparalleled lifestyle to its residents.
The Marlborough District Council (MDC) is a unitary authority looking after 20% of New Zealand’s coastline and responsible for four resource management plans. The MDC has a team of over 250 staff delivering its vision of enabling social and economic development in balance with environmental and community needs.
Working for a unitary authority provides the best opportunity to integrate the management of natural and physical resources in a unique natural environment. You will be able to apply your planning skills to guide the use, development and protection of these natural resources with a high expectation of community involvement.
Under the direction of the Environmental Policy Manager, and working within a small dedicated planning team you will be responsible for developing, maintaining and reviewing the Council’s resource management framework. You will provide strategic direction to the sustainable management of Marlborough’s natural and physical resources through the ongoing assessment and administration of the resource management framework. To achieve this, you will liaise with key internal and external stakeholders and consult with the community to gather information to inform policy options. In addition, you will work with the Mayor and Councillors and attend relevant Council meetings and public forums as necessary.
Your Skills and Experience
To be successful in this role, you will demonstrate:
- A solid understanding of the Resource Management Act and its application
- Sound judgement in identifying and evaluating policy options
- Proven success in finding policy solutions to seemingly conflicting interests
- The ability to work individually and also be a team player
- Excellent report writing and verbal communication skills
- The ability to work effectively in a political environment
Furthermore, you will have a tertiary qualification specialising in planning, resource management, or a related field. Exposure to consenting or compliance would be advantageous.